Business in the Community Northern Ireland is committed to working with businesses to amplify the effects of the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), also known as the Global Goals.
Partnering on Goals to change the World
Through our programmes, we inspire, engage and challenge businesses to be purpose-driven, taking practical action and mobilising their collective strength to make Northern Ireland a better place to work and live, and to deliver against the Global Goals. We are focused on how companies can bring about structural and lasting social, environmental and economic changes through running their businesses responsibly.
What are the Sustainable Development Goals?
In 2015 the UN SDGs were adopted by the 193 Member States of the United Nations in a bid to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all by 2030. While business engagement with the Global Goals is imperative for the wider world, it also opens business market opportunities and finds shared value for communities and environments.
The Global Goals are:
- A comprehensive plan of action to build a global partnership for sustainable development, to improve human lives and protect the environment
- Designed to be interrelated, measurable, action-oriented and achieved by the year 203O
- Applicable to all and are mobilising efforts to end all forms of poverty, fight inequalities and tackle climate change while ensuring that no one is left behind
Business in the Community’s objectives
- To support, profile and amplify the activity of our members in working to achieve the Goals
- To engage and convene business leaders to demystify and drive action to meet the Goals. Download Towards the Tipping Point: Global Goals Guide for Business which provides practical examples and recommendations for businesses just beginning to engage with the Global Goals
- To drive high-impact conversation on the Goals. Download Own the Conversation, Drive the Change, a toolkit packed with the resources needed to drive change within a business
- To ensure that digital transformation in business is ethical, sustainable and inclusive, and that innovations are developed responsibly in line with the Global Goals
We are currently developing resources specifically for Northern Ireland and are seeking case studies from member organisations already taking action for the SDGs. To contribute, please contact Suzi McIlwain.
In September 2019, the Irish Development Education Association (IDEA), in partnership with Business in the Community, held a networking forum in Belfast to bring together business and civil society organisations to find ways of collaborating for the Goals.
Watch a video about the event, Building Bridges: Cross-sector Partnerships for the SDGs, below.
For further information on how Business in the Community can support your organisation to work towards the Goals, please contact Geraldine Noe or call (028) 9046 0606.