Launching and understanding the impact of Ban the Box
Official launch of the Ban the Box campaign in Northern Ireland – an initiative to encourage employers to gain a deeper understanding of how they can successfully employ people with convictions, and thus help reduce re-offending. We’ll explain what signing up to Ban the Box means, and how to do it.
22 Sep 2021
10:30 am - 11:30 am
You will have the opportunity to gain an understanding of the impact employment can have for people with convictions.
A key element of this event will be looking at the recruitment of people with convictions through the lens of different sectors and potential solutions by reviewing recruitment practices. Employers already doing this will be in attendance to share their learnings.
- Overview – what is Ban the Box?
- Opening comments and official launch – Justice Minister, Naomi Long
- CASE STUDY 1: A powerful lived experience will be shared highlighting the positive experience of gaining employment and the impact
- Ban the Box – Three step review of recruitment practices
- Break out rooms organised by sector where groups will be able to identify two main challenges and their solutions to recruiting and employing people with convictions, in this sector. It will be facilitated by a sector lead and the discussion will be led by an employer
- Breakout 1 – Construction/Manufacturing/Engineering/Logistics
- Breakout 2 – Health and Social Care/Education/Community and Voluntary
- Breakout 3 – Retail/Hospitality/Customer Services
- Breakout 4 – Business Services-Legal/Financial/IT/Marketing
These Break-out sessions will provide an opportunity for discussions and questions by participants. Feedback will be given by each of the facilitators along with a discussion around the challenges and solutions
- A Ban the Box Employer Guide will be made available at this event. Details on how to sign-up and information on companies that have already signed up will be shared.
- CASE STUDY 2: A powerful lived experience will be shared highlighting the positive experience of gaining employment and the impact
For further information, email Sara Neilson.