The Northern Ireland Environmental Benchmarking Survey is now open for entries.
The Northern Ireland Environmental Benchmarking Survey assesses the extent to which environmental business practices have been embedded within the corporate strategies and operations of local organisations.
Since 1998, the Northern Ireland Environmental Benchmarking Survey has assessed the extent to which environmental business practices have been embedded within the corporate strategies and operations of local organisations.
Download the 2017 Northern Ireland Environmental Benchmarking Survey Results, click here.
The Survey benchmarks organisations against both their sector peers and against leading Northern Ireland organisations on the basis of their environmental management and performance in key areas. It is a voluntary exercise that helps organisations identify environmental impacts, measure progress, drive improvement, and raise awareness of the environment as an important, strategic and competitive issue at board level.
The Survey has grown to become Northern Ireland’s leading environmental benchmarking exercise, attracting organisations from numerous industry sectors, including participants from the top 200 companies and leading public-sector organisations, such as health trusts, local authorities and universities.
A key driver for corporate environmental management and improvement, the Survey is recognised as a positive influencer that is helping organisations throughout Northern Ireland achieve more sustainable ways of doing business.
The NI Environmental Benchmarking Survey is open to all organisations in Northern Ireland; however, you must be registered to take part. If you would like to take part, please contact Keelin McCone.
Key Dates for the 2018 NI Environmental Benchmarking Survey
- Survey launch: Tuesday 24 April 2018
- Survey close: Friday 29 June 2018 (open for nine and a half weeks)
- NI Environmental Benchmarking Survey Workshop for participants: Thursday 3 May 2018 9:30 am – 11:30 am at Business in the Community
- NI Environmental Benchmarking Survey Results Launch event: Thursday 22 November 2018 at Belfast Harbour Office
Changes for the 2018 Survey
In response to feedback from participants we have introduced some changes for the 2018 Survey which include:
- More relevant questions
- Increased focus on public reporting
- Circular economy focused questions
- Clear and concise language
- Revised the scoring of the performance improvement section
Already involved? Why not ‘Bring a Business’?
Consider encouraging and supporting one of your key suppliers or contractors to take part in the NI Environmental Benchmarking Survey to help them get started on their environmental improvement journey.
The Bring a Business initiative asks Survey participants to encourage one of their key suppliers or contractors to take part in the NI Environmental Benchmarking Survey, in an effort to challenge participants to work with their supply chains to improve their environmental impacts. Organisations who ‘Bring a Business’ will gain extra marks in their own submission.
Things you must do:
- Inform Business in the Community of the nominated company and contact details. Email the details to Keelin McCone by 31 May 2018
- Ensure that the company completes the Survey before the deadline (this is important for you, in order for you to avail of extra marks within the Survey)
George Dawson Award for Environmental Contribution
This award was established in 2008 to pay tribute to the memory of George Dawson, former Director of ARENA Network. George passed away in 2007, following a short illness. He was with Business in the Community for nine years; during that time, he developed the ARENA Network programme into a highly respected and successful driver for corporate environmental improvement in Northern Ireland.
This recognition award is designed to celebrate the significant contribution made by a businessperson to improving the environmental performance of his or her organisation and its impacts upon the environment and wider community.
The recipient of the 2017 George Dawson Award is Laura Duggan, Environmental Manager at George Best Belfast City Airport.
Top tips for completing the Survey
- 2018 NI Environmental Benchmarking Survey Questions – FINAL
- 2017 NI Environmental Benchmarking Survey Results
- 2018 Survey_Guidance Notes
- 2018 Survey_Environmental Performance Guidance_Add Info
- 2018 NI Environmental Benchmarking Survey FAQs
If you are interested in taking part in the 2018 Northern Ireland Environmental Benchmarking Survey, email Keelin McCone or call (028) 9046 0606.