Farrans Construction is an established building and civil engineering contractor with operational interests throughout the UK, Ireland and Europe. Its business is structured in to two primary divisions: Building and Civil Engineering.
Farrans continues to develop excellence in all aspects of building and civil engineering while at the same time the boundaries of service level delivered to its customers are continually being extended. At the heart of this approach is the recognition of its wider social responsibility.
What Farrans did
Farrans’ aim is to leave a positive image in the areas in which it works, helping young people realise their career aspirations. To help achieve this, Farrans has devised a comprehensive set of education and training initiatives so that people are proud to live, work and play in their own community. Its ability to deliver its initiatives is contingent on partnering with a diverse range of educational establishments.
Farrans has a strong commitment to working with local schools, universities, training providers and colleges to realise wider project benefits adding social value and creating a sustainable future in the areas in which it works. The company developed a bespoke Education Partnering Plan, delivering a series of bespoke education initiatives including:
- Employability Skills Workshops
- Graduate and Student placements
- Work experience
- Training for Success (TfS)
- Careers in Construction
- Site visits
- Safety Sam
- Art workshops
- Time to Read
Impacts and Outcomes
- Engaged with over 1,500 young people in the past year, carrying out employability skills training, careers in construction, providing help and support and encouraging young people to fulfil their aspirations
- Engaged with both Queen’s University and University of Ulster and have employed 21 civil engineering graduates to date from September 2017
- Partnered with ICE, SERC, BMC, NRC and SWRC to support nine civil engineering apprenticeships as part of a Northern Ireland initiative to provide 50 apprentices
- Farrans’ Employability Skills Training initiative has directly reduced recruitment costs
- New entrant retention figures have increased by 25%
- Currently engaged with 12 young offenders at Hydebank Wood College as part of the company’s national award winning outreach programme, ASPIRE
For more information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org