Lidl Northern Ireland operates 38 stores, located across every major town in Northern Ireland. It currently employs more than 800 staff in stores and at its distribution centre and offices based at Nutt’s Corner.
Lidl Northern Ireland has shifted its focus to sustainability and introducing more environmentally friendly processes and targets. This is achieved through its sustainability strategy ‘A better tomorrow’ and lean business model which places great emphasis on efficiency and sustainability across its operations and supply chain.
What Lidl Northern Ireland did
Lidl NI has committed to a sustainable development plan that sets out targets in key areas such as waste, emissions, energy, responsible sourcing and social sustainability.
Lidl works with suppliers and growers internationally to reduce the impact on the environment and improve social standards in underdeveloped countries by certifying ingredients in all Lidl own-brand products.
As a retailer, Lidl incurs higher amounts of food waste due to the nature of the business and the need to meet consumer demands. To this end, it saw an opportunity to develop a food redistribution network; Lidl ‘Feed it Back’ which is powered by FoodCloud and FareShare.
Impacts and Outcomes
- Modernisation of warehouses and offices has created a better working environment and facilitated more collaborative working practices
- Employee engagement levels have increased
- The warehouse increased in size by 15%, however a 26% saving in energy consumption has been achieved through the introduction of cutting-edge energy efficient technology
- Sub-meters have allowed for a 24% reduction in energy consumption
- The new heating recovery system allows 70% of existing heat to be reused
- Improved storage facilities allow for more efficient management of stock with less waste
- Achieved zero waste to landfill
- Since May 2017, Lidl has donated over 51 tonnes of surplus food through ‘Feed it Back’, equating to almost 110,000 meals for those in need and saving more than 168 tonnes in CO2 emissions
- Lidl’s partner charities have saved more than £153,000 due to its food donations
- Minimised the use of plastics through the introduction of loose fruit and vegetables
- Reduced its carbon footprint by upgrading older stores with LED lighting
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org