Time 2 Count aims to help pupils enhance their basic skills in maths and numeracy while boosting their self-confidence and self-esteem.
Numeracy is the effective use of maths to meet the general demands of life at school and at home, in paid work, and for participation in the wider community. Too many children start to fall behind in maths early on, and that failure is compounded over the years. We want all children to see maths as something they can learn and something that is relevant to their lives after school. Whether or not they proceed to higher level maths, all children need to develop confidence in numeracy skills that will serve them well throughout life.
Volunteer for Time 2 Count and you can instill a life-long love of numeracy in young people by:
- Being positive about maths and making it fun
- Helping pupils see opportunities to use maths in everyday life for example, measuring, shopping, cooking and travelling
- Praising pupils for efforts, rather than for being “clever” – this shows them that by working hard they can always improve!
- Time to flyer
- Time 2 Count Process Teachers
- Time 2 Count Process Volunteers
- Pearson: Guide to Tackling Maths Anxiety
- National Numeracy Family Maths Toolkit
- Storyboard questions Template
- Keeping Children Safe Online
How does Time 2 Count work?
- All you need is a head for numeracy and an interest in enabling children to explore their potential
- We’ll match you with pupils in a participating Primary school close to your home or place of work
- We ask that you attend online or face to face sessions for one hour each week to work with the children through a series of maths topics with the support of teacher led videos, maths based games and fun quizzes
- The initial commitment is for one academic year with the option to extend
- We ask that participating schools rotate the participating pupils two or three times in the academic year
- Business in the Community will provide training, volunteer/schools matches, and manage the ACCESSNI clearance process
- All you need to do is log on or turn up and enjoy the sessions!
Inspire the future workforce with a Workplace Visit
We know lots of organisations love the idea of Time 2 Count but cannot commit to the ongoing weekly volunteering. As an alternative, why not help inspire the future workforce by hosting a workplace visit. We’re looking for companies who can host a visit for primary school pupils. Give them a tour of your workplace or introduce them to staff from a variety of departments. Visits can take place at any time throughout the academic year and we can provide supporting PR. If this is not possible, why not help us develop a library of online resources that will help pupils understand the many job roles and workplaces around Northern Ireland. This could be through storyboards outlining staff careers, a short video of different staff members explaining their role/career path or a virtual tour. If you have any queries, please email Ciara Mulgrew or call 07467 147805.
Could you spare an hour per week to help Key Stage 2 pupils see how much fun maths can be?
To register, complete the form below or email Ciara Mulgrew or call 07467 147805.