Heron Bros is a construction and property development company operating throughout the UK, Ireland and Europe.
It has combined its traditional values with an advanced innovative approach to construction that delivers excellence in project value, quality and client satisfaction. It now employs more than 250 people and has a turnover in excess of £110m.
Working with public, private and third sector clients delivering education, leisure, commercial, retail, industrial, health, pharmaceutical and community projects, Heron Bros is committed to being a ‘partner of choice’ by building strong long-lasting and mutually beneficial relationships with all of its stakeholders.
Heron Brothers places responsible business initiatives at the core of its business strategy to ensure it continues to challenge its business and industry, driving the sustainable growth required.
What Heron Bros Group did
Heron Bros sustainability strategy consists of five key pillars creating value for its business – Responsible Business; Resource Efficiency & the Natural Environment; Community & Partnering; People & Workforce; and Business through innovation.
A clearly defined structure has been implemented across the business to ensure sustainability infiltrates through its business. It has identified short-term, mid-term and long-term targets and objectives to monitor, measure and report on performance. It publishes its annual sustainability performance publicly.
Heron Bros continues to invest in innovation and collaboration to promote a more responsible approach to business. For example, it has developed bespoke site management software Build Smart and has appointed a Design Manager who works closely with the Environmental Manager and Contracts team to ensure the delivery of BREEAM projects.
Some examples of Heron Bros activity include:
- Training and qualifications – Resourced CR Coordinator qualified to L3 Community Development Practitioner to assist CR and community delivery, ensuring the community gets the best benefit from our CR delivery
- Work-Smart employability campaign – Supported those furthest removed from the labour market through a holistic employment programme that includes training sessions, employability support and constructive feedback
- Up-skilling of the local supply chain – Through strategic up-skilling and training, the company provides pretender workshops to assist in completing prequalification questionnaires and quality submissions; identifying and advising them on additional certifications required to help them succeed in tendering
- Improving inclusion and diversity in the communities – Working in partnership with the travelling community to promote construction as a viable career for male and female community members – advising them on opportunities; how to gain qualifications, skills and experience to help them gain employment within construction and other industries
Impacts and Outcomes
- Supported 133 educational, community, charity, and social enterprises in the last 24 months, working with local communities to identify and implement strategic beneficial partnerships
- The first NI construction company to roll out an alcohol awareness and support programme and support TV awareness campaign
- Developed a partnership with Habitat for Humanity Restore across its construction sites to reuse and recycle excess construction materials
- Supported Aware and Build Health NI to improve the health and safety of the workforce in the Northern Ireland Construction Industry
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org