Link & Learn: Loneliness & Social Isolation
Throughout the year, Business in the Community runs a series of one-hour, bite-sized, topical learning sessions for your employees.
01 Mar 2018
Held at Employers Premises
Delivered in your workplace by experts in areas of particular interest to your workforce. We allocate a month and you choose a day and time that suits. Once confirmed, the expert provider will liaise with you directly. All you need to do is advertise the session and provide a suitable place for it to take place.
Imagine what it would be like to be lonely and uncared for every day; to forget the sound of your own voice because there is no one to talk to and TV is your only company for weeks on end. Tragically, that is the harsh reality for millions of older people.
- 1 in 3 older people are sometimes or always lonely
- 100,000 people say TV s their main form of company
- 30,000 people say they feel trapped in their own homes
This series of seminars, delivered by Age NI, will highlight the reality of loneliness and social isolation and the impacts it can have on later life. The stats make for stark reading. Loneliness can:
- Be as harmful as smoking 15 cigarettes per day
- Double your risk of Alzheimer’s
- Increase your risk of diabetes, stroke and heart disease by 30%
- The sessions will also provide an opportunity to learn about the intervention programmes that Age NI delivers, how they can support in later life, and how you can play a part in helping to support those at risk of loneliness.
Contact Angela McCartney on (028) 9046 0606, or email email@example.com