Take action on the climate emergency
Business in the Community is leading on a collaborative climate campaign – Business Action on Climate – that puts Northern Ireland businesses at the forefront of action on the climate emergency.
Together with the CBI, FSB, IoD and NI Chamber, we are calling on organisations of all sizes and from all sectors to sign the Climate Action Pledge and commit to take action on the biggest challenge facing our planet, with the support and guidance of Business in the Community.
Hear more about Business Action on Climate:
Meet our Climate Champions
A steering group made up of representatives from Business in the Community member organisations helps us define the campaign strategy and content, and plays a key role in driving change in NI.
Deloitte Northern Ireland is a Business Action on Climate campaign partner from 2020 – 2023. As a campaign partner, Deloitte plays a key role in collecting and reporting data provided by the Climate Action Pledge signatories, supporting these organisations to measure and report accurately to help them reach the greenhouse gas reduction targets outlined in the Pledge.
The Climate Action Pledge
To ensure a liveable future and limit the increase in global temperatures to 1.5°C, businesses must play their part and work to urgently reduce their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. By signing the Climate Action Pledge, and setting and striving to achieve ambitious GHG reduction targets, Northern Ireland organisations can demonstrate their commitment and willingness to collaborate to address this critical issue.
By signing the Pledge, signatory organisations commit to reduce their absolute scope 1 and scope 2 greenhouse gas emissions by either 30% or 50% by 2030; and to work towards measuring and reporting their scope 3 GHG emissions. The chosen base year must be 2015 or thereafter.
If your organisation does not measure its GHG emissions yet or you’re not sure what scope 1, scope 2 and scope 3 is, we have the resources to help. Email us a at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how we can support you, or take a look at the resources section below.
Still not sure if your organisation is ready to sign the Climate Action Pledge? Take a look at our Climate Action Pledge Flow Chart to help you figure out your next steps, or how to get started.
We’ve created a bank of resources to help you get started and navigate your climate action journey, download from the links below. Please check back on this webpage as these will be added to and updated regularly.
- Word Document: The Climate Action Pledge
- PDF: Climate Jargon Buster – An easy to understand guide to environmental terms
- PDF: Why now is the time to start your climate journey – Seize the opportunity to build back better
- How to get started on your climate journey – Practical actions to start measuring and reporting your GHG emissions, set a target, and define a strategy
- Webinar | Business Action on Climate
We will support you to achieve the targets of the Pledge
Through the campaign we will support signatories to achieve the targets of the Pledge by providing:
- Bespoke training, e-learning and education opportunities for senior management and staff
- Support with development and evaluation of strategies and action plans through workshops
- Sector-focused Climate Action Toolkits
- Signposting to useful resources from Business in the Community and external organisations
- Support with measurement, reporting and communicating progress to key stakeholders
- Links to carbon offsetting opportunities at a local level
- Best practice examples and case studies
- Networking and profiling opportunities through BITC communication channels and events
Please email Geraldine Noe, Head of Environmental Sustainability, or complete the form below to register your interest in taking the Pledge.